6 Ways to Become a Better Leader

Being a good leader means being open to new ideas, possibilities, and perspectives, and understanding that there's no "right" way to do things. ... Leaders must be able to listen, observe, and be willing to change course when necessary. Now to become a better leader, there are several ways to achieve this.
1. Apologize without hesitation: Leadership meant insulating myself from my subordinates and hiding any weaknesses. If i made a mistake, I'd pretend it was just a misunderstanding or someone else's fault. If you fess up quickly, people working for you will respect you more and follow directions.
2. Admit when you don't know every answerNot admitting mistakes came from a sense of superiority and pride. I thought, I'm the leader so I must be right. I now understand leadership differently. It's a servant role and like anyone in business, you are never going to have all of the answers. Revealing you are human is helpful. Good leaders go and find the answers the team needs.
3. Analyze first, then actIt takes time to collect information and there's a sense in leadership that you need to move quickly. We are paid to respond and act, not to sit back and wait for someone else to solve problems. Yet I made the mistake of acting before analyzing. In a few cases, I even approved projects, new hires  and direction before getting 100% of the data.
4. Nurture allies at work intentionallyLeadership is often seen as a solo effort. It's not. The best leaders have friends and allies at work who provide counsel and advice. I needed more of them. I do remember having a few co-workers who tried to give me advice, but I had the mindset of a lone wolf leader and tuned it out. If anything, it's critical to look for this feedback as a development step.
5. Be quick with positive feedback, slow with criticism: Many employees in young companies need constant encouragement. We live in complex, competitive times and people are inundated with too   many tasks and not enough time. Technology and business life can be overwhelming, so it's important to point out any "wins" no matter how small. And, if you do have to criticize, think seriously about the impact first.

6. Ask personal questionsOne of my greatest challenges as a leader had to do with my introverted personality. I didn't share enough about myself, my family life, and my aspirations for the team. I've since realized how being hyper-focused and analytical by nature also helped me get promoted and were probably my greatest strengths. I wish I had tried to understand my team's personal motivations more and relate on a personal level.




By: Amusan Titilope Blessing
cc: John Brandon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7 Ways To Hold On To Your Dreams

7 Effective Ways to Develop Your Negotiation Skills