5 Truths About Taking Risks

5 Truths About Taking Risks

If life has thrown you a nasty curveball or has pelted you with unrelenting pain and you feel trapped in fear, trust me, I get it. I am not a risk-taker and quite honestly, I hate change. Truly. But it is with great compassion that I encourage and implore you to keep moving forward. Take each day as a new day and step out, even if you’re scared as you do it.
On the flip side, if you’re burying your talent simply because your predictable life is just too easy and comfortable, I don’t have sympathy. But I do have compassion—compassion to challenge you to seize today because you’ll never get today back. And someday, “today” will be 15 years down the road.
That said, here are five undeniable truths about taking risks in life:

1. Taking risks provides clarity.

Two months ago, I stepped way outside my comfort zone and took a risk that cost me every ounce of comfort and every morsel of predictability. But in the last two months, I’ve gained more clarity on who I am, passion for my purpose and clarity about what is most valuable to me in this life.

2. Taking risks will cost you more than you anticipated up front.

Truly, it will. But I believe the reward is greater than the risk. Even if the risk ends up not working out, the learning experience is definitely worth the investment.

3. Taking risks (or not taking risks) because of a people-pleasing motivation will backfire quicker than you could ever expect.

Remember the story I shared? What’s at stake is faithfulness to properly manage something that was entrusted to you: your purpose-loaded life. Yet operating in fear will render you impotent in the development of that potential.

4. Taking risks is not at all equivalent to gambling.

Taking risks has nothing to do with throwing caution to the wind or flipping a coin. I believe taking risks involves careful planning, deliberate investigation and a truckload of counsel.

5. Not taking risks will likely produce regret.

And at the end of life, will you look back and ask the proverbial question, “What if?” Or, will you look back upon life and repeat the words of journalist Hunter S. Thompson: “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow! What a ride!’”
Listen, you might step out, find out and fall flat on your face. But at least you tried. At least you took a risk instead of burying your talent in the cold, hard ground.

Source:success.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7 Ways To Hold On To Your Dreams

7 Effective Ways to Develop Your Negotiation Skills