DETERMINATION

“I don’t like the way my result will be in a course I offered this semester”, a friend said to me at the end of an examination. I replied, “so, what are you going to do about the second phase of that same course the next semester?” And she simply said, “I will get a distinction no matter what!”I nodded, believing in her ‘will power’.

Determination is simply ‘the firm intent or a decision that has been reached. According to the Cambridge Dictionary, a determination is “the ability to continue trying to do something although it is very difficult”. It is worthy of note that we acknowledge the fact that determination is not just a mere desire to accomplish a task. The great inventor and a businessman, Thomas Edison, would inspire us more on this subject. He said in a quote, “Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration”. Life is not just about what you want but also how much you want it. Many people crave things or a life they would only dream of because they are not willing to give what it would take them to get their dreams to come alive. There is a renowned Scottish proverb, “If wishes were horses beggars would ride” Wishes or wanting wouldn’t come true without determination.

After the second semester had been successfully concluded and few results were out, I asked the young lady, “How was the result you told me that you would get a distinction?” She replied, “I got it!” Although, I knew how terribly the semester began for her, because of her determination she still made sure that she came through with a distinction in that course just as she told me.

What result do you expect to see in your life? Which goal have you set before yourself? Determination is expedient! You need just a little more strength to push onward. That height is reachable, that goal is achievable. Keep at it, don’t give up! Stay safe and strong!


By: Oladipo Ayoola Joel
@ayoolajoel

Comments

OJO JOSHUA.M said…
My Oga, you are doing well.
Unknown said…
Yeah, that's just it. Wishes without working towards them is like sleeping on a bed and waking up on the same bed. More

Popular posts from this blog

Top 7 Ways To Hold On To Your Dreams

7 Effective Ways to Develop Your Negotiation Skills